1. When is the application deadline?
Our application deadline is 11:59 pm, Pacific Standard Time, December 14, 2021.
2. When will I be notified whether or not I have been accepted into the Applied Physics graduate program?
All applicants will be notified of their application status by March 15, 2022..
3. Can I apply for an application fee waiver?
We recognize that the costs of graduate applications may be difficult for some applicants. If you are a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you may qualify for an application fee waiver. For more information, please visit Graduate Admissions.
4. Is the GRE required?
Both the General and Physics Subject Exam are currently optional for the Ph.D. and M.S. programs.
5. Is the TOEFL required? How do I know if I am exempt?
The TOEFL exam is required for applicants whose first language is not English. It must be taken within the last 18 months. The TOEFL is waived for applicants who have received or will receive an international degree equivalent to a U.S. Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree from a university outside of the U.S. in which English is the only language of instruction. For more information, please refer to the note regarding the TOEFL on the Admissions Overview page.
Applicants with degrees from the U.S., Australia, Canada (except Quebec), New Zealand, Singapore, and the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales) are exempt from taking the TOEFL.
For more information, please refer to the Graduate Admissions GRE/TOEFL FAQ
6. What is the official code for reporting GRE/TOEFL scores?
When requesting official score reports, please use the Stanford University code: 4704
7. I am an international student applying to the Applied Physics graduate program. Do I meet the minimum requirements to apply to Stanford University?
Please see International Academic Credentials Guidelines for minimum level of study required of applicants who wish to apply for graduate study at Stanford.
8. What is considered an "official transcript" from my university or institution?
Two sets of official transcripts must be sent to Stanford directly from the college/university. Transcripts must be signed and sealed by their registrar or university official. The electronic delivery of the transcripts needs to come directly from the college/university. Please note that the secure electronic certified transcript must be printable.
Emailed copies of transcripts from applicants will not be accepted by Stanford.
9. Is it possible to update my application after I have already submitted?
The Applied Physics Admissions team cannot amend applications after they have been submitted. Please understand that once you have submitted your application, additional information cannot be added.
10. There is a checklist function showing the completed tasks of my application. I submitted all the required materials for the application, why does it not show any completed checkmarks?
The Applied Physics Department does not use the checklist function in the Stanford application system: Please do not contact our office and ask us to confirm that your file is complete. If you are missing any necessary materials, we will contact you via email in early January or February.